Skip to main content

Review: Ford v Ferrari (2019)

Ford v Ferrari (2019)

I am not a car guy. I'll say that as bluntly as I can. I don't get (or buy into) the lifestyle of shiny, fast or expensive, brand-name cars, and I likely never will. A car to me is a vehicle that gets you from Point A to Point B. Sure, I appreciate when a car is made with good-sounding speakers for music to blast or seats that can heat your ass in the winter, but that's more-or-less as far as it goes for me.

For this reason, Ford v Ferrari was not a film I was personally lining up to see. However, I am a fan of James Mangold as well as Matt Damon and Christian Bale (really, who isn't?), and when the film started receiving rave reviews I ended up going out to see it earlier than I originally predicted I would. And, in the end, I was generally impressed with the film.

Ford v Ferrari is the based-on-true-events story of Caroll Shelby (Damon), a former race car driver, now-turned car designer, and Ken Miles (Bale), a current race car driver/mechanic/family man. The film takes place in the 1960's, at a time when the Ford company was close to bankruptcy. And, in a daring ploy to gain new traction and consumers, they decided to compete in the famous Le Mans 24 hour race in France - a competition that had, for years, been dominated by Italian car-company, Ferrari. In this daring pursuit, Ford hires Shelby to lead the team and Shelby then brings along hot-head Miles as their racer.
In all respects, Ford v Ferrari is a well-made, easy-to-watch and, at the appropriate times, a moving film. Though there are a few nice twists and emotional beats throughout, this is not a film that takes risks, unlike its adrenaline-seeking protagonists. It is the kind of film that one can easily see being nominated for Best Picture, however, I do not necessarily mean that in a good way. Leaving the film left many of the similar feelings that I had after seeing last year's Green Book. It felt like a film made by Disney but targeted at adults.

Again, this is not to say that Ford v Ferrari is a bad film by any means, because it is not. It is a very serviceable film with a good story, good heart and good acting. But like so much of today's big-budget Hollywood fare, underlying Ford v Ferrari is a lack of risk and artisanship. As reviews have shown, most have enjoyed Ford v Ferrari and there is good reason for this. I just wish next time the race takes place off-road as opposed to very well-paved and well-trodden roads.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Palm Springs (2020)

Palm Springs (2020) TLDR: An entertaining story of a man and woman stuck in a same-day loop, an entertaining story of a man and woman stuck in a same-day loop, an entertaining sto -- While not the first and definitely not the last take on the 'time loop' story, Palm Springs succeeds as a contemporary rom-com due to the strength of the two leads, the film's consistent laughs and shocks, and an underlying and compelling depth at the heart of the story.  Palm Springs is yet another highly-recommended indie film that gives new life into a well worn genre and premise. The time loop setup has been attached to pretty much every type of story at this point from action to horror, drama to rom-com. Of course, one of the originals, Groundhog Day, may be the most similar to Palm Springs in its somewhat kitschy romantic comedy. However, Palm Springs has contemporary stylings in its honest and flawed characters, its edge and bouts of crudeness/violence, and its tendency to ve...

Review: How to With John Wilson (Season 1)

How to With John Wilson (Season 1) TLDR: It's hard to describe exactly what How To is or why exactly it works, but there's a certain point in every episode when the comedy begins to click and then the human element - the surprising poignancy and the everyman/woman relatability - comes out in spades. This documentary series is unlike anything else out there and absolutely worth your time. Who exactly is John Wilson? That's the first question that comes to mind when HBO's new documentary series is recommended to a new viewer. The name is in the show's title, and yet John Wilson is rather a nobody in the grand scheme of things as well as in the entertainment industry (at least he was prior to the becoming a bonafide hit). However, not long ago, contemporary comedy icon Nathan Fielder discovered Wilson and, after seeing his work and style, decided to jump on board as a producer for a new series made by Wilson.  So, again, what exactly is this show? Well, each episode of...

Review: The Old Guard (2020)

The Old Guard (2020) TLDR: Immortal and yet still unable to elevate this one past your standard run-of-the-mill action flick. Netflix's newest romp-and-stomp, The Old Guard, based on the comic series by Greg Rucka and Leandro Fernandez, may give you that temporary adrenaline fix you crave but, ultimately, it is fairly standard fare that will likely come and go like so much other contemporary content. The Old Guard is about a small group of immortals who, throughout history, have acted as a for-hire squad. The team is led by Andy (Charlize Theron), the oldest (and most badass) of the four. The film centres around a plot by a business man (Chiwetel Ejiofor) who seeks to expose the group's incredible power so that another more-cruelly minded business man may distill and capitalize the group's immortality. At the same time, the group becomes aware of a brand new immortal (Kiki Layne) whom they attempt to integrate into their way of life. The concept - while not en...